Check out your navigation skills advice will give yourself a great grounding in the basics in planning a journey.
Some of important skills in navigating are :
1. Study the map and plan your route so that you know where you want to go and how long it will take
2. Always set the map in relation to the ground
3. Learn to use the compass before you need to use it for real
4. Have the map and compass to hand during the walk
5. Check your position regularly – know where you are
6. Reading journey map
7. Familiarizing with navigating apps and software
Part of the training, you may might need to find a place or destination without any gadget or electronic devices.